Friday, January 05, 2007

TIPS Plan

I'm not sure just what is available at other institutions but where I go to school at Florida Community College at Jacksonville we have what is called the TIPS program. (Tuition Installment Plan) For my final senmester I used this option to pay for my tution. Again I only recently found out about this program. Basically they break up your tution for the semester into a predetermined number of payments. The earlier that you register for classes and apply for TIPS the more payments they will break it down into. These payments are electronically drafted from an account of your choosing. ( I chose Bill Gates :) ) The electronic drafts will span the time of the semester that you are paying for. So no real long commitments here.
Like I said if you sign up for this early they will break it up into several small payments. The longer you wait the fewer the payments thus the higher the payments. I for example signed up on the last day of registration so my tution of $632 was broken up into two payments of $316. There was also an additional $35 application fee that you must pay that is charged seperately from your tution payments.
Bottom line: If you are not able to pay your full tuition fees up front this may be an option if it is available at your institution.

Disclaimer: These are the facts as I see them and are by no means authoritative. For more detailed information contact you local financial aid office. They will have infromation specific to your area and location. This blog is meant to share observations and information that will lead the reader to do further investigation.

No comments: