Thursday, April 05, 2007

Lesson Learned!

7That is my grade so far in my review class. Not the stellar performance that I am used to delivering. Nevertheless it just gives me impetus to do better. Since most of the class is doing somewhat poorly this term our teacher has added another test in addition to our final. I could use the extra points which would boost my average before the final. I hate going into the final with the pressure of needing to get an "A." Really though, the class grades only amounts to a very insignificant part of completeing the overall objective or becoming a Registered Radiologic Technologist. Of course they help prepare you for the registry but ultimately that registry is where the RT production occurs. (And there ain't no curve!!)
A bit of good news is in order. I HAVE A JOB!! Yes indeed, I was offered a job in the OR. I've loved doing OR rotations from the very start. Actually I almost missed out on getting the job. See!! Im not simply gloating. I'm sharing a little lesson with all you RT students out there.
Here goes:
Three students including me applied for the job. I felt that I had an edge since I had a couple of the OR Tech's putting in a good word for me. It seemed like the interview went just fine. After a couple days they informed me that one of the other students had been given the job. I was a bit stunned but took it in stride. (Actually a pitfully large piece of chocolate cake consoled my brusied ego.) Well, the guy who got the job decided after about a week that he would better like a part time job in special procedures. So it turns out that they call be back in to offer the job with this insight:
"The only thing that kept us from hiring you was your absenteeism"
The Moral: Missing clinic days can come back and bite you in the butt!!

No comments: